Friday, July 8, 2011

7/8 - Friday

Today we woke up and at at 8:30a, and then got picked up around 9ish by the A Perfect Injustice team and the boys from the Kivulu home. I guess I should write down the different ministries so that I can mention groups of kids and remember who they are. API has a street kids ministry that meets in the Kivulu (that 'K' is pronounced like a 'ch') slum. They have sixteen boys that used to be in that program that live in the Kivulu Home. The home used to be in the slum, but they moved it out for safety reasons but kept the name. They are currently renting a home where the boys live but have bought a new property in Bombo where they will move. They are going to build a second home to house an addition sixteen boys. Another thing to say is that having the boys in the home is sort of the last step. Ideally they want to boys to be in homes of their own, but if it's not possible then they join the Kivulu home. The other program that API has is the Hope House which reaches out to former prostitutes, all of whom are HIV+.

via followugandateam.wordpress.com







{Oh! Before I get to the main stuff from the day, before we got picked up Ashley started washing our clothes in the shower with a bar of soap. Going rugged here, folks. I finished washing my stuff later, but seriously, it was ridiculous. Our bathroom flooded and we had clothes line hanging up all through our room. Classic. Should've gotten a pictures. But it took like umpteen days to dry so it was kind of a fail and I ended up paying for them to be washed and dried anyway.}

via africa-love.livejournal.com


We went over to their new property in Bombo to help with the work to get it open sooner. A couple of the boys had been there before, but a lot of them hadn't. It was fun to be able to be their with them and experience it together. Most people did brick tossing to get bricks from by the house to by the foundation of the toilet house, but I was leveling ground by the toilets. I had never done that before, so it was fun! (For the record, I am now a huge fan of hoes!) I worked with Mrs. Gibbons, and it was cool to talk with her. Relating to that, she told me about how one of the kids who was 13 had lost his parents. His dad had been killed by a taxi and his mom had been hung. Can you imagine that happening to such a young kid? I cannot fathom. But the amazing thing is, he seems so well cared for and counseled and loved and he just seems so happy. He's the entertainer, the funny one, the one who seems to make friends with everyone. I can't imagine having that disposition if I had had that background. It's all God.

via followugandateam.wordpress.com


We had a yummy lunch of takeout chicken and chips, and biscuits. After lunch we went back to work digging holes for banana trees. It was hard work, but the boys there are beastly and didn't leave a lot for me to do. After we finished with the holes we walked through the bushy area on the land to go to where the second house is going to be built. It was cool to walk around a bit and get to the off-the-beaten-path areas a bit. Afterwards we went back to the Cottages and I went swimming because we got back around 4:30 which was pretty decent. Then I basically just chilled out. It was good. Side note: I felt really good today! No health issues or anything ... woo hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment