Monday, July 4, 2011

7/4 - Monday

Today I woke up around 7:40, and had breakfast around 8:30. Unfortunately it took the whole time to get ready so I didn't get to read James then. (I read it later.) Breakfast was delicious (bread, bananas), and afterwards we got picked up by two drivers and went to the Redeemer House (we couldn't go last night because one of the workers was in a car accident).

It was a long drive to get there, but on this road we got a very clear picture of what poverty is. There were lots of people walking, standing, and sitting along the roads, but there were also lots of people working hard. There were so many huts, shacks, and stands. Cow and goats were tied up to poles. Chickens running around. And children. There were so many babies on their mothers backs and little kids running around and school kids in uniforms walking. There's something comforting in children to me.



When we (finally!) got to Redeemer House, Patricia was at the gate to let us in. We got out of the vans and Noah, Patrick, and the kids came out out to greet us. They gave us hugs and were so excited and smiley. Then the kids did a song presentation for us and introduced themselves. They told us their names and what they wanted to be when they grew up. Lots of them wanted to be pilots and nurses and one wanted to be an accountant. It was SO precious. (Except Joanne threw up cuz she has malaria.) Then we introduced ourselves and the kids showed us around. Gladys grabbed me - it was so sweet to be wanted like that. =) Then basically the rest of the day was just hanging out with the kids. They have an obsession with our technology. I'd constantly have kids coming up to me and saying, "auntie, camera?" So cute. And now I have 100's of pictures on my camera from that. ♥



We had lunch there, which was delish. The potatoes and chapati were amazing! I'm a sucker for them. We also helped the kids write letters to their sponsors, which was fun. I "helped" Saida, except she didn't really need help so I felt sort of silly. =/ There were some pretty classic moments, like when Sarah and Gloria and Natasha started calling Ryan the Lugandan word for short person, jumpi juni, SOOoOOoO funny. They were cracking up. And also when Noah tickled my neck and I freaked out. Oh! And we also took a little bit of a walk to the farm, which was neato. There wasn't a road, so we got to see a bit of the "back-country" only accessible by foot. They grew coffee, sugar cane, bananas, potatoes, tomatoes, corn, and more.



We left later in the day and stopped in Jinja town for food. It took FOREVER but was super delicious so it's okay. It was like chapati with an omelet, cabbage, and other stuff rolled inside. Greg said it was like a giant egg roll. It's called a rolex, though. After dinner we had free time when I read James and then our team meeting. Then I showered and I was so dirty. It's all like clay and dirt roads so my legs and feet were orange. Ick. {Side note: I actually miss the orange legs and feet because I got really used to it and it was a sign of a good day.} My feet were dees-gusting. It brings the washing of the feet so much more meaning. Then basically I hung out for a bit and then started journaling. And here I am at 12:30am. =o

PS- I haven't gotten sick at all and no TD, so I'm glad! God is good! Hardly any mosquitos, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment