Sunday, July 10, 2011

7/10 - Sunday

Today was super long. We got picked up around 9:45a by Steven, Abby, Amanda, and Gina (some of the API staff) to go to the Watoto church. It was really big - there was a HUGE line of people waiting to get in, and security, too! The worship was really powerful, listening to people sing the words and understanding it in a different context was just amazing to listen to. These people know how to worship and love God in a way I can't, because they have such a different experience than I do. I don't really know how to explain it. But I cried during the service if that tells ya anything. (There was a lot of crying going on during this trip.)


Afterwards we went to Garden City for lunch. I had sweet and sour chicken, which was delicious. The Garden City was sort of an American mall type, which bugged me. I didn't go all the way to Uganda just to get more America! If you didn't know, I'm not a huge fan of the American culture/society and was quite glad to be gone from it for a few weeks. =/ Regardless.

via followugandateam.wordpress.com


Then we went to a craft market near the National Theatre. It was super awesome to do that! I learned how to bargain for myself and it was great! =) I ♥ it so much. (I hope I made you proud, Grandma!) I got a lot of gifts and stuff for family and friends, which was awesome. I got four scarves, one bracelet, one necklace, one purse, one painting, two picture frames, and two bottle openers for 101,000= (about $50). Not bad, I think. Wish I had gotten more, but we had to leave and I didn't have many more shillings.



We came back to the Cottages to change (except for me, because all my clothes were dirty) and went to the Grace boys home. The home has about 50 boys living that ... A LOT. It's a big building, but not super nice. The bedrooms hold about four to five triple decker bunk beds, have thing mattresses, and no mosquito nets. There is no silverware, which was hard for me to deal with. It's so hard to realize that people live like that, but then to realize that they came from the streets which was a LOT worse makes the situation all the more real.



We played football with them in Kivulu at a pitch. It was interesting because people would just walk through or drive their bodas, and there are lots of dogs and chickens and ducks and goats chillin. Yeah. And creepy guys with cheesy smiles that say "I want you." (The smiles, not the guys.) So creepy. Thankfully no other guys were weird and flirty like that. I also tried some grilled corn and it was delicious! So addicting. Then we went back to Grace home and did our program for the boys and had dinner. While serving it up I spilled boiling broth on myself. That was a bit painful, so I held it under the tap and then just held a glass bottle of mountain dew to cool it down. Ick ick ick ick ick. It BURNED!



After dinner Dave and Greg did the fire poi again which was sweet and then we left. The day was so long, but so good. Looking back, it's amazing how much we did in one day. I think a series of events happens over a course of like three days but as I'm going over my journal entries I find out it all happened in one day! So awesome that we were able to do so much in such a short amount of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment