Saturday, August 20, 2011

More thoughts.

I thought I was over the rough part of returning home – you know, the part where all you think about is the kids that you met, the poverty you saw, the overall work of God there, and you just want to go back ASAP before you get too used to living in the “same old” America. And I thought that was gone, for the most part. I of course want to go back – no question there, but I had stopped obsessing over the kids in my mind all the time (and things like that).

Whelp. It didn’t last long. I became facebook friends with some of the A Perfect Injustice aunties and it all came back. =) I looked through their pictures and the stories and faces that went along with it, and it was just BAD in a good way. Facebook is already addicting, it’s even worse when you get caught looking at pictures of kids you are in love with and miss so much – and you see pictures of them doing drugs.

It’s not pleasant, my friend.



Something I keep thinking about, is that it makes absolutely no sense for me to love Uganda. Honestly.

I love cold weather and summer is my least favorite season. Uganda is like a summer-wonderland. I used to think missionaries were kind of old-fashioned (no offense). I can’t stop thinking about missions/ministry. There was a time when I did not like idea of flying internationally and was more than content to stay in the good old USofA. I love flying, and now miss the excitement of international travel. And no fear of flying is going to keep me from going to Uganda. I don’t like trying new foods, AT ALL. Uganda … has new foods. And though I basically stuck with the basics and what I knew, I DID try some goat (!) and if/when I go back I will expand my variety. I like being clean. I really miss the dirty feet thing I had going over there. And laughing at how much dirt would still be on my feet and legs even after a shower. Comfort zone: I like to stay in it. Uganda: not in my comfort zone.

There’s more, I’m sure. Uganda = not really my style. But when God has you fall in love with something, you can’t help but not care about the non-important stuff because caring about that isn’t really worth it in the end. But being in Uganda was worth it, and I didn’t even THINK about most of that stuff because, disconcerting as it may be in the States, it’s just not a big deal when you’re over there. There’s more important stuff to think about.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

i throw my hands up in the air sometimes, saying eh-oh, gotta let go

No comments:

Post a Comment