Saturday, August 20, 2011

Memories

-After Jeb gave Akyram and Nicolaus their books, one boy came up to me and said, "Praise God!" Praise God, indeed.

-How welcoming the boys in the slum were. It wasn't awkward, strange or anything. They welcomed us and I felt like an old friend coming back. Those kids are amazing.

-How I had to remind myself, and still remind myself that those kids, in the orphanage and on the streets, HAD BAD PASTS. They seem so normal. The kids in the orphanage didn't act like they had been abandoned, starved, had parents killed by the Lord's Resistance Army, had HIV/AIDS, been abused or mistreated. It's only God that can cause a child with such a horrible background to be so loving and "normal".

-The boys on the streets were definitely a LOT rougher. I mean, yeah, they live on the streets and in pretty bad conditions. They huff jet fuel to get high and to help block out the hunger and cold at night so they can sleep. Lots of other stuff going on that I'm sure I don't know about. It's just a bad scenario. But even with the rough edges, it was so easy to be with them. To play games and learn from them. I forgot that they were street kids.



-Singing the Doxology in the middle of a Ugandan restaurant the day we were in the slums. I mean, a group of muzungus singing in a restaurant. Picture it. It's awesome.

-Driving down the streets outside of Jinja and hearing people yell "muzungus, money!" I wish we didn't stand out. I would have loved seeing everyone in their normal state, not gaping and yelling at us. Not everyone did, but a good number.

-learning the word "sugarcane", which is "ekikajjo". When you pronounce it correctly it sounds something like "Chicago". =)

No comments:

Post a Comment